Tuesday 24 July 2018

A Legend and A Newbie Actor in ML




Eddie Garcia on ML, his 3rd Cinemalaya Film

In 2005, during the birth of Cinemalaya Film Festival, there was already an Eddie Garcia starrer among its pioneer lineup of finalists – “ICU Bed No. 7” by Rica Arevalo.

Seven years later in 2012, the award-winning actor (and director) again topbilled an unforgettable Cinemalaya film, “Bwakaw” by Jun Robles Lana.

In both films, the “great” Eddie Garcia grabbed the much-coveted Cinemalaya Best Actor awards. 

This year (2018), another six years later, the seasoned thespian returns to the popular independent film festival in the country.   His third Cinemalaya film is “ML” (short for “Martial Law”), written and directed by Benedict Mique.

The film also topbills new Kapamilya actor Tony Labrusca, also with fellow newcomers Lianne Valentin and Henz Villaraiz.
Now on its 14th year, CINEMEALAYA 2018 is slated on August 3-12 in CCP Theaters and select Ayala Cinemas (Trinoma, Glorietta, Greenbelt 1, UP Town Center, and Legazpi Cinema in Bicol).

What is his role in “ML”?

“I play a retired Metrocom Colonel with a slight dementia, that’s why I believe that currently, it’s still the era of Martial Law.  So, I thought, the kids were activists.”

Does he believe that the concept of Marial Law still caters the millennials?

“I believe that the film has an intriguing concept and it’s good to be shown to today’s generation.  Dapat talaga itong mapanood ng mga kabataan ngayon. 

“I think the film is very timely too, so it will be good if it will be seen by the youth of today.  Magugustuhan nila ito, lalo na ang mga taong hindi pa buhay nu’ng panahon ng Martial Law.  Para makita nila kung ano ang nangyari.”

In a legendary status like him, how was it working with these newbies?
“Well, they were good.  Everyone was disciplined.  To break the ice on the set, we chat in between takes and everything went fine.

In his own opinion, does the Philippines need Martial Law?

“Well, kung ang mga tao ay wala nang disiplina, kailangan.  Dapat, may latigo!   Parang ‘yung role ko dito sa pelikulang ito, ako ang magdi-disiplina.   Well, it’s just a role.”

Looking back, how was his personal experience during the Martial Law days?

“Kapag hindi ka makikialam, walang mangyayari sa ‘yo.  Kapag nakialam ka, may mangyayari sa ‘yo.”

At his age of 89, what makes him doing films until now, especially that it’s his third in Cinemalaya?

“Well, whatever is offered to me, I accept it.  It’s just a job.  Ako kasi, kahit na anong i-offer, tinatanggap ko, eh.  Walang masamang damo sa akin.

There’s something in Cinemalaya, because naiiba ito kesa sa mga ordinaryong film festivals.  But it’s just a job.  If awards come, it’s just a bonus.”

Is there a plan to retire from the showbiz industry?

“None.  As long as they need me, I’ll be there.  If they don’t need me anymore, I will quit,” says the iconic Eddie Garcia.

For the record, Eddie Garcia has been in the industry for 69 years now (his first film was in 1949), has made around 600 films, and has a total of 39 awards (local and international), the only Filipino actor who's been elevated to theFAMAS Hall of Fame (as best actor, best supporting actor, and best director), and other Lifetime Achievement Awards.

He joked that the only role that he has not done yet is to become a "leading lady." 





 Tony Labrusca on Eddie Garcia and ML

NEW actor Tony Labrusca is extremely proud of his debut film, “ML” (short for “Marial Law”) -- not only because it’s an official entry to the popular Cinemalaya Film Festival 2018, but because he shares a “co-lead role” with legendary and iconic actor Eddie Garcia.


In “ML”, written and directed by Benedict Mique, Tony plays a sheltered teen-age boy who experiences “Martial Law” first hand – from a retired military soldier with slight dementia who believes it’s still the Martial Law era.


What can Tony say about working with the great Eddie Garcia?


“He’s the man, he’s a legend.  The fact that I was able to work with him, I’m such a new actor.  It was such a humbling experience for me, and I have to admit, I was very intimidated.


“I stepped in there (on the set), not knowing what will gonna happen, how our relationship be like, but it was really humbling and I learned a lot. 

“This is an experience that I will always be able to tell people one day when I grow up, that ‘I did a movie with Eddie Garcia!’” says the proud newcomer.


How did he prepare for his role?


“I’m a new actor, so I prepared by going through the script with Direk Benedict Mique and really evaluating every scene.  He was always there for me, guiding me.  That’s how we prepared.


“We had a really symbiotic relationship, kasi, I couldn’t do any other scenes without him, and obviously, I’m his main actor, and so we definitely helped each other out.  I’m really blessed that he chose and trusted a new actor like me.  So, we just prepared by working through it together.


“Direk Benedict just made us watch videos, ‘coz there are certain scenes that we needed to feel, like the horrible things that happened to people.”


What was his realization after doing the film?


“I think my realization now is that, you just have to make an open mind.  Ako kasi, I’m not really a political person. 


“But I think, after watching this movie, it’s just good to be very aware about your surroundings.  I think, that’s the biggest thing.   More than people taking sides, or to be aggressive or inactive, I think it’s just about knowing your surroundings, being more aware and just educating yourself.”


How was the over-all experience doing his very first independent film in a co-lead role with Eddie Garcia?


“I love it! I love it so much.  It’s a completely different vibe. 

“I wanna encourage everybody out there, that if you’re an aspiring actor, and you think that mainstream is the only way to make it, I think it’s important that you give indie a shot, and you’ll realize a whole new respect for the art!” says Tony Labrusca.






 Cinemalaya 2018 Film Festival runs from Aug 3-12 2018 at CCP, Glorietta, Greenbelt, Trinoma, UP Town Center and Ayala Mall Legazpi.



No comments:

Post a Comment