Monday 19 June 2023

Piolo Pascual Stars On His First Horror Film - Mallari


Piolo Pascual gears up on his challenging role in his first horror film, Mallari. Piolo Pascual, returns to the big screen in his newest film, Mallari, teaming up with multi-awarded director and independent film veteran Derick Cabrido. Inspired by true events, Mallari tells the horrific story of Fr. Severino Mallari, a 19th century priest during the Spanish occupation and his descent into madness. The film recounts Father Mallari’s life and work as a parish priest in Pampanga, where he reportedly murdered 57 people to aid his ailing mother. The film is a period horror piece spanning three timelines: the Spanish occupation, the post-war period, and the present time, with Pascual taking on a different character in each.
 

Piolo Pascual says he is excited to do this project, as it is his first time to lead in a horror movie, as well as portraying multiple characters in a single film. Piolo further added 

"I'm actually a fan of horror movies, I love watching horror movies. Since I got stuck with doing romcom films, I had no chance doing a horror film. When this project got offered to me and I read the script and discover the story of the character that I'm going to portray with, I said that this is going to be interesting. Then when I googled Juan Severino  Mallari, it came out as the first serial killer in the Philippines, this film na gagawin namin is fictional but based on true story then sabi ko, there are lot of films in different country because of streaming platform, we should be proud of what we can do as well, then sabi ko this is gonna be real hard for me physically, exhausting, emotionally draining but I'm up for the challenge, Im happy to do this film with interesting story and character to me."

When ask about his preparation for the film, Piolo says

"I always appreciate the process of immersing myself, and the process of knowing the character, and trusting my director and the production. I always excited to play the part that I know its not me and playing the character is a big challenge. I don't overthink. I go through the journey of each character I'm going to portray. But for this, it's gonna be really hard because we are going to shoot in three different periods just to save time and for the prosthetics and for the locations. I do not know how I'm going to prepared for this character as it gives me a goosebumps, I've seen a lot of serial killer series and movies and it is a privilege for me to do something like this. I do not want to overthing or over analyze. I just need to define the character that I'm going to portray. I do not want to over prepared. I just want to collaborate with the team and as an actor I always give 100% in every project given to me. I'm going to be challenge by this film and this will make me doing things that out of my comfort zone and from there let's see what I can do."

On Director Derick Cabrido statement on doing Mallari.

"This is going to be a different horror film , iba iyong atake niya, kasi tatalon siya ng tatlong period. Mallari is unique because it is cultural and the material is controversial because this is only the documented serial killer in the Philippines. Then he killed 57 people, so imagine during ng panahon na iyon a town consist of like 4000 na population so its a big deal nung panahon na iyon. In terms of attacking the horror, it is going to be psychological, super natural ang daming layers ng horror na pede namin icombine dito and we will tackle as well kung bakit sya pumapatay. This is going to be a fiction feature film story and not going to be documentary because sad to say we do not have the records na babalikan kung ano ba talaga ang nangyari noong panahon na iyon, what we do know is 57 ang tao na namatay in a town and nangyari ito before pa the GomBurza and hindi pa pinapanganak si Rizal so ififictionalize talaga namin ang pangyayari but what we are going to present is iyong story kung bakit siya pumapatay, paano niya ginagawa at kung ano ang tumatakbo sa ulo ni Mallari at bakit siya tumawid ng tatlong timeline."

 

Watch below as Piolo Pascual and director Derick Cabrido talk about their upcoming film - Mallari.

 
 
 
 
The script for Mallari has been submitted to Metro Manila Film Festival 2023 and the producers are looking forward that more Filipino audience will watch and appreciate this film in movie theaters nationwide. Mallari will be produced by John Bryan Diamante of Mentorque Productions and Cleverminds Inc. and is written by Joaquin Enrico Santos.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment